Re: [NTLK] eMates and Mice?

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2005 - 11:32:00 PST

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 07:14:27PM +0000, Adam Ladds wrote:
> Would it be possible to use a serial mouse with an eMate? It would be
> great to have a small mouse for an eMate, as it would complete the
> "mini laptop" type setup and you would no longer need to use the screen
> for selecting, copying and pasting words.

That would break the whole NewtOS metaphor, even worse than trying to
use Windows with only a steering wheel would break the Window metaphor.

An eMate isn't a "mini laptop", it's a Newton with an attached keyboard.

> I have looked around and
> found no drivers, but it must be possible to write an Extension to do
> so, as there are serial mouse drivers for Mac & PC, and newtVNC uses
> some kind of input method for remote control, so all that would be
> needed would to be able to have a small picture of a pointer that moved
> round the screen when you move the mouse, then when you click a button,
> an input is generated at the point where the pointer is.
>
> Would it be possible to write an Extension in NS to do this?

Maybe. Download the development tools from UNNA and give it a shot.

> Or has anyone seen this done and can point me in the direction of a
> site where I can download such a driver.

Nope.

--
38. If an enemy I have just killed has a younger sibling or offspring
    anywhere, I will find them and have them killed immediately, instead of