[NTLK] Lucent Orinoco Bronze and New LinkSys Wireless Router?

From: James Grubic (jgrubic_at_bozeman.k12.mt.us)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 07:19:05 PST

I recently picked up a few Lucent Orinoco Bronze cards thinking that I
could get them to work on a Macintosh G3 Wallstreet PowerBook, Newton,
eMate, and whatever else I throw the cards in.
 From what I had read, this card was compatible with Apple's Airport
software under OS9.2.2.

Here is my current problem. On the PowerBook G3, the card mounts as
"Airport PC Card". Good start. However, when I look for my Linksys
BEFW11S4 Wireless-B Broadband Router, I just see the number '256' (I
normally see my router and a neighbor's router), and I can't connect to
it. The light on the card does not go on.

After reading some more, I located Orinoco software for OS9 (v7.2) and
installed it. It now shows up as Orinoco on the desktop. The light goes
on, but I can't connect to a network. I see a message "Incompatible
Station Firmware" popping up periodically.

More research. This older card may simply may not be able to connect to
this newer wireless router. I've tried modifying the settings on my
router in an attempt to get this older card to connect to it, but I am
having no luck.

Can I update the firmware on my Bronze card? Do I simply need to hook up
to a different wireless access point, like an Airport Base Station? Can
I just change specific settings on the router to allow the older card to
connect?

I probably should have gotten a Silver or Gold card, but couldn't resist
the price of these cards! It would be great if I could get them to work.
I am aware that they don't support WEP, and I'm not overly concerned
about that.

Thanks for any advice.

James