[NTLK] Einstein Thoughts

From: LARRY YOUNG (saillar_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Dec 28 2005 - 20:54:05 PST

Adam

Sharp introduced a new Zaurus in June of 2005. To correct a
misconception, Sharp didn't stop making the Zaurus in recent time, it
quit importing certain models and doesn't import all models. They are
brought in through resellers who change the ROM to English. The
newest model has a 4 gb HD w/ supposably good HWR. And also is Linux
based. The latest model is a clamshell design w/ rotating screen that
lays down on the keyboard, much like Tablet PC's. In reviewing the
website on the NOKIA 770, it looks very impressive but I don't like
the fact that you cant write directly to the screen, confined to an
entry block. I read where it will connect to OSX. Good Sign.

Next month in SF at the WWNC they will be discussing the future of
the Newton and Einstein. I believe a discussion should start now so
when they arrive in SF they have an idea what people are thinking and
have face to face discussions about what we discuss here. I believe
we have to be realistic and not get too wish list oriented. It means
that people should do their homework and investigate the models and
platforms that will be candidates for Einstein. I have heard we
should wait and see what Apple plans on doing with the iPod and maybe
they will put an operating system on it w/ HWR. If they don't
announce anything next month at the Apple WWC we should start getting
serious about moving the Newton OS to a new and modern platform. I
got an e-mail from a support tech in Europe from the Zaurus site and
he was curious why I still used the Newton. After much thought, I
gave him an eye full. I surprised myself when I finished writing
about the Newton and how much I praised it. Still the best PDA out
there but it is losing ground.

AS I SAID IM MY FIRST POSTING, We should pool our money and purchase
Paul Gyuot at least one PDA to use for research for the Einstein
Project. We might be able to get a non-profit discount for the WNA.
We get so much help from the group and now is the time for us to give
a little back for our little green friend. I am more than willing to
pledge $ 50.00 towards a new PDA for Paul. Back in high school we
use to collect nickels, dimes and quarters for our Friday night beer
and the same can work here. Those who can afford to pledge the most
do so an those who can't, send in five dollars. It won't take too
long to get up $500.00 - $1,000.00. As I remember not too long ago,
there was a good turnout for new backlites and that went well, I
think. IN FACT, I'll donate a new backlite which someone can buy for
$15.00 and that money can also go to the Einstein project.

I believe this should be coordinated or overseen by the Worldwide
Newton Association. As a Newton user we all benefit from their
efforts and it doesn't cost too much. Today I forked out $139.00 for
Tiger and what would we be willing to pay for a 2005 edition of the
Newton OS if it were available?

Remember, Einstein is not Paul's full time job and his life has
gotten busier since he started the project and it is a big
commitment. It is on the schedule at the Newton Convention in San
Francisco and we will have to wait to hear where it is heading.

I would like to hear from Steve Weyer since he has written apps for
both the Newton and Zaurus. Are we kidding ourselves about the
Newton's future and are Linux based PDA's the future.

Larry Young
Virgin Islands/San Francisco

On Dec 28, 2005, at 7:38 PM, Adam Ladds wrote:

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 07:33:54 -0500, mkow1234_at_aol.com wrote:

> I agree with L.W. Brown's excellent suggestion that we collectively
> provide Laurent(?) with a Linux PDA (such as a late-model Sharp
> Zaurus)! If the Newton OS is ever to be fully ported to another PDA
> hardware platform, the Zaurus is pretty much the only option (No
> smartass replies to the list about made-in-India dreamware, etc,
> please!)

IMHO, the Nokia 770 (no it isn't a phone) is quite a good idea, it
runs linux and even has a flat stylus, a la OMP, I always liked that
design. It also has Wifi and Bluetooth built in and they said that in
a future update they might have screen rotation, In fact I think I
might get one anyway, even if Einstein isn't ported to it, but it
would be a brilliant platform to develop it on, it's even based on
the ARM9 processor! (it's also still in production, unlike the Zarus.
Or was that someone else that stopped making PDAs, I think it was
SHARP.....)

http://www.nokia.com/770

cheers,

Adam