Re: [NTLK] [FS] NewtUSB available

From: hellsop_at_ninehells.com
Date: Fri Dec 23 2005 - 10:36:21 PST

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 01:19:24PM -0600, Goodwin, Greg P. wrote:
> Would this make my back up quicker? I just backed up my u2000 with
> a 32MB card (15MB of info on it) and it took 4 hours using serial
> connection @ 9600 baud rate on a powerbook G3 Wallstreet running OS
> 9.2!

9600 bps = 960 bytes per second. 15 meg = 15360k = 15728640 btyes

That comes out to about 273 minutes to transfer data at that rate. Your
backup needs a faster data rate to speed up. The USB gizmo is a
USB-to-RS232 box basically, which means you need to set *it* faster than
9600.

Your only real hope is to run this over a faster connection, which means
Appletalk over either serial (don't know if this works over the USB
gizmo, but I'm sure someone can say -- real serial will work), or
Appletlak over Ethernet, which is unquestionably the best option.

--
91. I will not ignore the messenger that stumbles in exhausted and obviously
    agitated until my personal grooming or current entertainment is finished.