Re: [NTLK] Last Year's Overview...

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Dec 19 2005 - 12:10:55 PST

Subject: Re: [NTLK] Last Year's Overview...
From: "Frank Gruendel" <newtontalk () pda-soft ! de>
Date: 2005-12-11 20:30:31

>> What happened with the backlight replacement thing?
>> I ordered and paid mine, but as I lost contact with the
>> list I never knew what happened with it.
>
> I think it was pulled through. Not sure about details here
> since I wasn't involved.

I received mine. All worked well. Talk to Norman and Ronnie for details.

>> now my newton refuses to work anymore...

Frank is already talking to you. Listen to him.

Which reminds me--has anybody talked to David Watson aka Dr. Newton
recently? I don't see him listed as repair person on
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/NewtonRepairPerson .
Is he still offering repairs in North America? David, are you still
there?

>> So, is there out there any initiative to create a new
>> platform or adapt an existing one to replace the
>> ever-aging newton platform?
>
> Other than Einstein, not as far as I know.

Not this, but in hardware, other things have moved ahead (or not)--

* Adriano has built and offered many neat things that you can plug
into the Newton. See Frank's review of his NewtLight here
http://www.pda-soft.de/newtlight.html . Also some details on the
WikiWikiNewt, start here
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/AdrianoAngelillis .
* eMate ribbon cables are now available again. Frank has a review on
his page http://www.pda-soft.de/ematecable.html .
* Jake Borden is working on an internal Bluetooth card, already has
built two working prototypes
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=113433577100004&r=1&w=2they
work with Blunt.
* Don't know if that was the same project, but there was one where
folks said on NTLK that they'd talked with Mr. PCBMan about integrating
their project with one of his (maybe Gear Shift? SER-001? Bluetooth?),
could have been this thread feat. John Hay
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=112981178300005&r=1&w=2 sure if
that is happening or not.
* Our PCBMan himself started a discussion about internal storage
upgrade for MP2x00 about a year ago... Met with much enthusiasm, so I
guess no publicity since then means he's working on it in his top
secret lab.
* Oh, and there's been some discussion on NTLK about a possible
internal USB card
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=113062017500006&r=1&w=2aven't
heard many details about the functionality aimed at. It *would* be a
great idea if we had an USB driver for the Newton (which would give us
new areas of application for the Newton and new peripherals)... But
then we could also use an off-the-rack PC Card USB adapter... Which
would be great, too... maybe first the driver, and then the card?
* The Frozen Newton remake project is, uh, *frozen*. Sonny still waits
for some fellow Newtonian to deliver something he'd promised to provide
(plans? parts? CAD drawings? specs?).

In software, we're grateful for

* Simon's Mail V, which talks IMAP and since this month POP, too!
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=113396914827201&w=2
* Chris Nowhereman working on nSync (again).
http://thenowhereman.com/hacks/newton/index.html
* Eckhart working on Blunt 2, and his other neat apps over at
http://www.40Hz.org .
* The games by Messrs. Burke and Hudson.
* Newtendo, which ain't half bad.
* I have forgotten something neat, what was that...?!
* The Newton MAME port that somebody was working on one or two years
ago has never been heard off again. Would have been super-cool.

Software was a tad slowish lately, IIRC. Might be because of
experienced developers dropping off the map and not many new ones
making their mark; can't be for lack of ideas
(http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/SoftwareWishlist ).

Content:

* Besides NTLK, the WikiWikiNewt has become a very important source of
(more static) information. Everybody can add to it and help making it a
great Newton reference source. A great way to give hard-earned
knowledge and lessons back to the community! Quite a good thing,
because...
* ...the Newton FAQ is not being updated anymore (no Wifi, no
Bluetooth, IR not current...). Last time I read about an update to come
was in Fall. Don't remember if that was Fall 2003 or 2004, though.
* More sites have progressed into static mode (e.g. Newton Dose--do we
have *any* active Newton news blog left?) or disappeared. We miss them,
especially all the content and packages that hasn't been saved in time.
* UNNA http://www.unna.org moved to a warmer climate, now quite a
couple links are shot (termites?), esp. in the mirrors section. Since
Summer or Fall last year, submissions have stopped to be released.
Since the move the submission queue "New Files" has a dead link,
"What's new" is emtpy, status of all those submissions pending
publication unknown. UNNA-DVDs currently not on offer, either.
* Temporary Newton Library http://www.stillnewt.org/library , hosted by
Marty Joseph, started last Winter or Spring. Ugly, but shock-full of
good stuff--some software, but mainly titles created in the last 24
months, including many brandnew books, both fiction and nonfiction, and
even a bunch of brilliant Newton exclusives (mainly by Matt-the-K and
Matt H.). (Disclaimer: I'm involved, too.)

I have missed a batch of things, I'm sure, so everybody feel free to
add to this.

'Kasko