Re: [NTLK] Newton 110 Hand reconition is horrible.

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sun Dec 18 2005 - 15:59:27 PST

on 18/12/05 16:28, Bret Feinblatt at bafein_at_mac.com wrote:

> A few posts back, someone said that the Newton HWR only got better
> with the 120 and later. I'm a little confused, and maybe I missed a
> few posts, but I thought it was the OS, in this case NOS 2, that
> solved the problem, not the hardware (apart from it's ability to use
> NOS 2). Am I wrong here, or what?

You are right. It's with Newton OS 2.0 that the recognizer got an important
update. The print recognizer was one developed internally at Apple while the
cursive one was still provided by Paragraph, IIRC. So, there were initially
120s that were running NOS 1.3 and were later replaced by 120s running NOS
2.0.

-Laurent.

KIBO: /ki:'boh/ 1. [acronym] Knowledge In, Bullshit Out. A summary of what
happens whenever valid data is passed through an organization (or person)
that deliberately or accidentally disregards or ignores its significance.
Consider, for example, what an advertising campaign can do with a product's
actual specifications. Compare GIGO; see also SNAFU principle. 2. James
Parry <kibo_at_world.std.com>, a Usenetter infamous for various surrealist
net.pranks and an uncanny, machine-assisted knack for joining any thread in
which his nom de guerre is mentioned. He has a website at
`http://www.kibo.com/'.