Re: [NTLK] Help with NCU on OS 9.2 please

From: Alex Lećo (alexleao_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 18:07:42 PST

2005/12/13, Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>:
> Woody and any other Mac savy Newton User,
>
> It seems that I was able to get rid of the error message by setting no
> printer as the default for my Wallstreet but no matter what I do NCU
> can not connect from the Newton to my Wallstreet and ANY suggestion or
> knowledgeable answer woudl be appreciated.

I got this from the online book " Programming for the Newton using
Macintosh, 2nd ed.". This is a setup for the NTK but I think that it
will work for NCU too.

***Serial Connection on a PowerBook with Only One Serial Port***

If you are using a PowerBook that only has one serial port (such as a
PowerBook Duo or a PowerBook 5300), your best bet is to use an
AppleTalk rather than a serial connection.

If you want to use a serial connection, however, do the following:

Select the Printer-Modem port from the NTK Toolkit Settings dialog.

Use the Chooser to make AppleTalk inactive.

If you have an internal modem, use the Express Modem control panel to
set the Serial Port Setting to "Use External Modem", and not "Use
Express Modem".
***

***Choosing an AppleTalk Connection***

You can use LocalTalk cables (for example, Farallon PhoneNet
connectors) to connect to an Appletalk network, or you can simply use
a serial cable to connect your Macintosh directly to your Newton.
FIGURE A.1 shows choosing AppleTalk from the Toolkit Preferences
dialog.

From the Newton, you'll need to choose AppleTalk as your connection
method. You'll also need to choose the Macintosh to connect to (and
the zone it is in).

--
Alex Lećo