Re: [NTLK] A second 'aluSTAND' prototype

From: Jon Scordia (jscordia_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Dec 02 2005 - 00:39:51 PST

Wow, thanks guys!

I am actually at work sitting in front of a machine loaded with AutCAD as we speak. (I am an Architect, see www.coopercromar.com for a bit of promotion!). I drew the prototype up first, fully dimensioned and sizes based on aluminium stock that I know I can get ex-stock. Thereafter I built each prototype to test whether the drawing actually works.

The design is deliberately influenced by what seems simple enough to construct by myself with the tools and material I have. KISS!

I think I'm getting somewhere! The value of a prototype, which I've been using in various ways for the last few weeks, is to test what the drawing cannot test.

Which is interesting. In the photos the Newton balanced happily on the stand. Frank and others made valid comments about this balance versus pressure on the top of the screen which lead me to think more closely about how people actually write on their Newt. What I failed to take into account is the weight of the dongle plus cable, which in practice literally 'tips the scales'.

I'v also bought a Newt 130 to see whether that can be accommodated.

So...back to the drawing board and a further, longer (pre-production?) prototype, probably over Christmas. My retired father has an excellant metal workshop which I've aquainted myself with, so hopefully the next model will be a degree of accuracy better made.

If I don't make this myself, I'll gladly circulate ACAD drawings, but not till it works!

And thanks for keeping this thread going. It keeps my interest going!

Regards

Jon