[NTLK] "Hello? Is this my iPod?"

From: Lord Groundhog (LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 31 2005 - 02:53:18 PDT

It appears that Apple is getting ready to do something really interesting -=
-
again. =20

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/30/technology/30apple.html?th&emc=3Dth

Call me wildly optimistic, but this makes me hopeful that Apple is toying
with the idea of giving us a new, thoroughly updated MessagePad, one that
will be natively what many Newton users are creating by Newton-modding.

"I have a dream!..."

In my dream, I imagine that this is the obvious first step, to incorporate
into an existing Mac market leader an ubiquitous existing technology (the
multi-function mobile phone). When they see how well it flies -- and I
believe it will soar -- the stage will be set for them to go the last step
and incorporate the extra technology, mainly the hand-writing recognition
that makes the Newt such a wonder, and to include updated versions of
Newton's steamlined but effective software.

Also in my dream, Apple will turn out to have been watching groups like
NewtonTalk all this time. They will have been monitoring all the
user-driven hardware mods, all the user-written software supplements, all
the new ways of using Newtons that have appeared since the Newt's premature
death by treachery. And this new resurrected Newton by whatever name will
be the device we've all been trying to create.

...and now that I'm awake again, I tremble to think they won't want to have
a large enough form factor to make this new "post-Newton" as functional as
our beloved Newts are now. I imagine they won't want to make the concessio=
of giving us the option to run our Newts off a handful of ordinary AA
batteries when we have to be away from plugs for a long time. I fear --
looking at the current iPods -- they won't even give us decent battery life
in the in-built rechargeable battery.

But hey! -- dreams are good things, even if it's only so we never stop
trying to make something better...

Shalom.=20
Christian=20

NewtonPad: the computer of tomorrow =8B yesterday.

http://homepage.mac.com/chodlang1/iMovieTheater16.html

Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/

Come to our =FCber-MUG: http://www.oxmug.org/