Re: [NTLK] Apple Seeks Handwriting Recognition Expert - We Can

From: William Pociengel (hseldon_at_my.wgu.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 20:21:59 PDT

hellsop_at_ninehells.com wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 10:50:23PM -0500, William Pociengel wrote:
>
>>Larry Yaeger wrote:
>><snip>
>>
>>>question"... How many words/minute can you
>>>print?... Naaah). A decent touch typist can type
>>>80 words/minute, and some professionals can type
>>>up to 120 words/minute. Pens are not going to
>>>replace keyboards for nominal data entry.
>>>

>><snip>
>>there used to be this thing called 'shorthand' where the idea wasn't to
>>write characters but to write words. if you don't count words per minute
>>by counting 'character' based words then attaining the same speed as a
>>good touch typist is not so big a deal.
>

> Ain't never heard of a HWR parser that could manage shorthand, though.

my point was not if that feature / function was or had been available.
Only that a keyboard is not the only way to get 'stuff' into a computer
from a person fast. shorthand is faster than keyboarding (for the
average person, relatively conversant in the technique, blah, blah,
blah), either can be taught to a novice in a fairly short time (ie
school classes exist just for this purpose. so if we think outside the
'windows' we end up with hwr that does shorthand. it's fast, it
completely replaces a keyboard and puts the effort on the computer and
off of the person. where it ought to be.

to make a short point longer, keyboards are not the ultimate data entry
mechanism ;-0' that's all. but then they are ubiquitous.

bill