[NTLK] eMate hinge repair (works in progress)

From: Steve (macintosh_at_globetrotter.net)
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 18:23:51 PDT

Hi,

I've begun repairing and validating the the hinge card slot on my 2
eMates. For the first eMate, from what I can see the hinge on the
side of the display ribbon is not affected. But the hinge on the
other side looks to have a spring out of its way. I do not know if
that merit a repair? I mean, that is not the hinge on the side of the
display ribbon, so should not affect the ribbon at all...

Also, I saw this document:

http://www.unna.org/unna/repair/eMateHingeRepairv16.pdf

That suggest to install a washer to maintain the hinge in place. From
what I can see, that will request removing the display, which seam to
be a little bit complex maybe for nothing. Can it be possible to
remove the screw, place the washer, and replace the screw all without
having to disassemble the display? I know the place between the
ribbon and the hinge is not very large, so I suppose it won't make it
easy.

At least I will put a bit of oil on the spring to make it easier to
work with.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.