Re: [NTLK] Apple Seeks Handwriting Recognition Expert - We Can

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 09:30:00 PDT

Larry wrote:

> Someone mentioned Inkwell HWR not living up to the Newton's. Hate to
> say it, but they're basically one and the same.

I can confirm that with an Intuos 3 tablet on my 17" PB, Inkwell
works very well indeed and the nicer appearance of the ink traces
adds something to experience too. Recognition is as good as I have
ever experienced on the Newton.

However the discontinuity of the tablet/screen arrangement makes it a
hard thing to use freely in the routine workflow and there's this big
keyboard attached...

When "write anywhere" is enabled I find that I start to drag a
selection in text but the inker is invoked instead - I have to
remember to pause between the click and the drag. On the Newt you
have to pause for the "selection blob" to appear so you are
conditioned to treat this as another gesture. However, this mode can
be very effective for editing text due to the expanded gestures or
when one hand is occupied with a phone.

A question for Larry: Why did word expansion not make it in the
transition? Coupled to a macro program it would be even more powerful.

I started to use a tablet (Kurta) when I became a Newton user in 1994
because I so liked using the stylus and have had one ever since,
shunning all mice & trackballs. As I used CAD more and digital
photography came along, a tablet was the perfect tool.

Roll on the tablet Mac.

Joel.