[NTLK] PDF on Newton - Google's PDF->HTML converter..

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 07:35:16 PDT

Hi,

   Back to the endless subject and wish for a PDF reader for the
Newton (unless Paul or Eckhart has done something super during my
absence from the list) Google's PDF to HTML translator seems to work
quite well, converting sizing, columnes, I think inline-images, and
even things like shaped text blocks. The only thing I've seen that
it won't do (mind you, I'm looking at abstracts for diabetes beta-
cell regeneration trials, not computer chip datasheets..) is readjust
things if I push the type size up too far.

   Has anyone thought of approaching Google about the code, under
NDA, considering that Newton is an orphan platform (and, software-
wise, will probably remain so for some time even after/if Einstein is
"out there"..). Or for that matter, convince Google to just make the
translator into a stand-alone program and sell it (although, Acrobat
*is* free, and even PocketPC and the next-gen Palm are powerful
enough to run it.. so I don't see what the real need would be, other
than a mythological real-thin-client computer, a la Sun's Java-dream
5 years ago) And then somehow convince them to make the code
available for port..

Jim Witte

PS. Nobody here knows of ongoing trials of beta-cell regeneration?
(diagnosed 3 days ago with level of 572, will spike from 113 to 230
after small meal and 2 units NovoLog taken 5 minutes before meal, but
I assume I *might* still have a few thousand of the cells still
clinging to life.. Email off-list)