Re: [NTLK] Definitive List of Newton 2100 Unique Capabilities

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 06:48:19 PDT

On Aug 21, 2005, at 10:31 PM, William Pociengel wrote:
> John Charlton wrote:
>> <----snipped----> no one has pointed
>> out yet - the shape recognition and drawing editing functions. Draw a
>> circle on the notepad - it turns into a circle. Highlight an arc
>> of that circle and duplicate it, drag it, delete it,
>> change its style. Draw some lines or polygons. Highlight them. Move
>> their vertices around. Scale the drawing. Double tap and duplicate.

Funny how it's easy to "forget" some of the incredible abilities of
the Newton. I honestly had completely not recalled this feature. So
I just tried it out. Seems I have neglected to use exploit amazing
capability. I do recall reading somewhere something about the Newton
being considers to be named something like "Architect" and was at one
point envisioned specifically as a target marketed product to
designers for the sole purpose of drawing architectural diagrams in
the field !

But now that I'm trying all this out, a mental renaissance of sorts,
I first set the pen mode to "shapes", I then draw a square with my
pen and the rough square I drew turns to a perfect square. However
when I try to get a hand drawn circle to turn into a perfect circle
it doesn't. What am I missing about drawing by hand a circle if I
want it to resolve ?

John

p.s. . . . . if you are into graphics, and the legendary "1984
revolution" TV ad check out all the "behind the scenes" trivia I put
together about how the piece was made and what ever happened to the
lady throwing the sledgehammer !!!!!!! It's a walk down memory
lane. Predictably it still holds up today !!!!!!!! I don't think
I can remember ANY ad that came even CLOSE to having the impact that
this ad did which only aired the one time during super-bowl, and was
almost scrapped at the last minute. Fascinating !!!!!!