Re: [NTLK] [OT] OS X for Intel Cracked, Successfully Running on PC Hardware

From: Toby Hutton (tobyhutton_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 17:10:14 PDT

On 20/08/2005, at 9:17 AM, Tyler Regas wrote:

> There was a discussion here earlier regarding the difference between
> an exploitable platform versus an exploitable person. The biggest
> difference between the Mac and Windows is that Windows offers both as
> a viable entry way. The Mac only offers one, the human element. This

If this is true then why is there a security update every month
offered in Software Update? I think the reason the Mac seems so
invulnerable is because nobody is spending any time finding the
vulnerabilities, which can be attributed to its lower market share.

There are dozens of security firms out there that spend all day
picking apart software just to find exploits that they can report
purely for leverage when tendering for consultancy. I've had the
Windows port of the product I work on picked on a couple of times,
usually they give you some time to patch the bug before they announce
it to the world. Even if you do patch in time not everyone upgrades
and they stay vulnerable to the crackers who read bugtraq and put the
exploits in their malware.

None of these firms are bothering with Mac software simply because it
wouldn't get them nearly as much attention as Windows and even Linux
(as a server OS) does. (ie. We have Windows, Linux, Mac OS X,
Solaris & HPUX versions of our product, which is BTW an anti-virus
product, and it's only ever the Windows version that is picked on
even though they're all the same.)

Toby