Re: [NTLK] "Jaggies" and "rings"(?) [from newtontalk Digest V5 #405]

From: Sean C. (tesla4d_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 14:46:19 PDT

The Newton rings don't cause problems. My screen had them since I
bought my unit, but I got over it quickly. replacing the screen seems
pretty drastic to me. I hardly ever noticed the rings to begin with.

On a more technical note, the rings are caused by a thin air space
between layers of the screen. When I say thin, I'm talking about one
half of one millionth of an inch. Light waves bounce off both sides of
the void and interfere, alternately increasing or decreasing the
brightness of the light that enters our eyes. Physicists call the
phenomenon "thin film interference", and it also causes the colors of
spilled oil on water, among other cool effects.

The jaggies stem from a few causes unrelated to the rings. One
explanation states that dirt can get trapped between the case and
screen, producing intense pressure that the newton picks up. The
circuitry averages the locations, so it thinks that the stylus is
halfway between the offending grit and the actual stylus input. As the
stylus moves across the screen, the screen flexes, placing more or
less pressure on the grains of dirt, further distorting the input. Try
slipping a playing card between the screen and plastic bezel and
running it all around the edges. Of course, replacing the mainboard
and screen would work, too. ^.^
Peace