Re: [NTLK] Upgrading Lucent Turbo Bronze card

From: Adam Ladds (aladds_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 02:43:06 PDT

I am unsure if this will work for a bronze (bronze turbo should work,
as it's 11Mbit) but in essence that is exactly what you do except the
airport drivers ask you if you want to upgrade it because the firmware
is "out of date." I know someone who did this with a silver card in his
cube, he hosts a website through it (currently down due to DNS
problems) and he has used it for warchalking with his 15" powerbook in
the pcmcia slot (extreme doesn't work for passive mode) and it works
great. I seem to remember a web page saying something about it once but
i am unable to find it. IIRC, you have to update the airport card
drivers to 2.0.4 before putting the card in.

cheers

Adam

On 18 Aug 2005, at 01:22, James Wages wrote:

> On 8/18/05 2:02 AM, Adam Ladds <aladds_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> this does not turn it into an airport card,
>> but it will work as one as well as a normal wifi card.
>
> Adam, just to clarify...
>
> You are basically saying that I can take my Bronze Turbo Wavelan card,
> stick
> it in an airport-compatible Mac, boot into OS 9, upgrade the firmware
> of the
> Wavelan card using Apple's Airport card firmware update, then the
> WaveLan
> will act like a Silver or Gold WaveLan card (128 WEP compatible) which
> will
> then work in the Newton?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James Wages