Re: [NTLK] campground SSID

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 17 2005 - 19:39:51 PDT

That's why I use Cisco wireless APs (Cisco, not the
consumer brand Linksys)
The SSID is Tsunami and while they aren't locked down
with a random password, if you are purchasing a Cisco
wireless AP, then you supposedly know what you're
doing. ;-)
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Tyler Regas <tyler_at_pdahandyman.com> wrote:

> The vast majority of consumer broadband routers are
> configured in
> this manner. The use SSID's like "linksys", "dlink",
> "default",
> "netgear", "dlink54g", and so on, ad naseum. This is
> also how you can
> often ID open APs and attempt to log in to them.
> common user names
> and passwords are "admin" and "admin" in various
> configurations. The
> username is often blank on Linksys gear. The only
> company to ship APs
> with security on by default is 2Wire, and the
> default password is
> located on a sticker underneath the unit. All you
> need to get into
> someone's network is to reset it to default.

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial