Re: [NTLK] Best OS/Hardware Combo for NTK?

From: John Charlton (johncharlton_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 14:54:29 PDT

On Aug 13, 2005, at 9:41 AM, Rod wrote:

> I have a spare Blue and White G3 lying around that would
> be ideal. Does NTK support ethernet for connection to the Newton?

That's exactly the set-up I'm using. Works great. I've got the
Stealth serial port which I typically use, but AppleTalk over
ethernet works too. (OS 2.1 req'd though)

> Also, if I have a fairly good grasp of RealBasic, is Newtonscript an
> easy transition? I figuring that if you have good knowledge on how
> OOP works, its just a case of getting to grips with the different
> syntax and Newton-specific items, such as protos.

No, I wouldn't say it's an easy transition, however Newtonscript's
not that difficult, just a bit steep at the start. If you've got a
grasp of programming you'll be able to figure it out. Download the
combined programming kit from unna, and keep the reference and guide
pdfs open at all times! Lots of source code out there now too for you
to tinker with.

Good luck and let us know when you need beta testers,

jc