Re: [NTLK] GPS advice wanted

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Sat Aug 13 2005 - 10:55:15 PDT

On Aug 11, 2005, at 10:03 AM, Michael Blazer wrote:

> Just received my AQ-300 and NewtNav (thanks, Adriano!)

Yes, that is a very nifty product.

> I'm wondering if anyone has any maps they could share for use with
GPSMap
> that would be useful to someone living in Eastern Canada, Southern
Ontario,
> or the Toronto area.

I only have Lake Tahoe on my Newton. I do plan on a building a Wester
US (or North America) map someday. As far as availability of maps in
your area, it all comes down to demographics. How many Newtons are
their in the world? Now what are the number of those users, that are
using their Newton for GPS, that live in Eastern Canada? Guess what,
you're it. Welcome aboard.

I built my first map based on USGS quads available online. It was
fairly straight forward. I simply cut and converted the quads from 256
colors to grayscale, did a little enhancing and then converted it a 1
bit graphic.

> I've looked at the instructions for making your own maps just long
enough to
> determine that it's way beyond my mental powers and available free
time.

Nah...it's not that bad. Following the instructions was fairly easy and
only took a couple days. The tough part is verifying, what you've put
together, is actually accurate. A street level (1:24000) detailed map
usually requires being able to drive to various points. to check the
accuracy against GPS readings. A city/highway map wouldn't need that
kind of accuracy but you will need at least three fixed points to match
up the actual locations with the pixels on the graphic

> I did d/l the Ontario towns db for TeleTypeGPS but I'm not sure how
to use it.

Great for waypoints and data collection. In addition to saving the
long/lat readings, you can add a free form note about anything (for
example, the matching X & Y pixel locations on the graphic map). It
will also record a tracking line from start to finish allowing you to
back track.

TeleTypeGPS is not quite as impressive as GPS Map, but it's very useful
when starting out with your data collection. As you go to various (far)
points in your daily business, collect the GPS data. Later, when you
start building your maps, you can use these GPS points to verify the
map you created within the calibration program.

> The names of the waypoints (is that the right term?) for the Toronto
area seem
> to correspond only roughly with actual geographical names that anyone
living
> here would recognize.

Roughly is right. Understanding that the Newton's database was probably
put together from some other database.

> As you can tell, this GPS stuff is quite new to me, so I'm pretty
clueless about
> how to use it. So far, all I've done is get my co-ordinates, paste
them into
> Google maps, and looked at the pretty satellite view of my house.
It's cool,
> but I don't see how it can help me not get lost while traveling
without internet
> access.

Geocode look up can be useful and fun too. Before you head out
somewhere, type in the address and get the GPS coordinates. You can
then (at least) see how far lost you are ;-)

http://www.travelgis.com/geocode/

Have fun, hope to see you around the list.

Ron

--
               |\_           PowerMac G4/500 : RC5-72 [4,497,408 keys/s]
              _(/(c__         Dual Quadra 840av : RC5-72 [73,214 keys/s]
             {/ (_wwv`;,
            _/ _) `^'(`;`),,
           {/  _)    `*(:'(:)*,
                  CLASSIFIED o U.S. Government Munitions o 3.7 gigaflops
        http://stats.distributed.net/participant/psummary.php?&id=427831--