Re: [NTLK] WaveLAN Bronze Turbo WiFi Card

From: John Skinner (john_at_johnskinner.net)
Date: Tue Aug 09 2005 - 02:33:19 PDT

On Aug 3, 2005, at 12:12 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> From: Martin Joseph <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com>
>>
>> I have upgraded a WaveLAN Silver/Bronze Turbo card into a Gold card
>> that will support 128bit encryption!
>>
> I don't think it's possible to upgrade a Bronze turbo to a gold?
> If it
> is please tell...

It is, it is possible! And I'll show you how!

>> Also, using the same method, I upgraded my original graphite Apple
>> Airport Base Station to support 128bit encryption!
>>
> This isn't possible either AFAIK. Even with a gold card in the
> graphite base station, the firmware/software for the graphite base
> only
> understands 40(64)bit WEP.

That isn't true. It is supported in the firmware, it's just that
Apple's configuration tool doesn't allow you to input a 128bit value.

> Please do share your amazing secrets!

O.K. I'll share!

I'm putting this article up on my web server now (under construction).

The original Apple Airport Base Station used a Lucent WaveLAN Silver
card inside it.

If you take that card out and flash upgrade it using my instructions,
then it will support 128 WEP.

Then you download a Java configuration tool (URL link in article)
that will enable you to configure 128bit WEP!

It works and I use it everyday!

Here is a screenshot of the summary of my Airport (no, the picture
has not been altered). Notice the nice graphite color of the Base
Station and the firmware version!

http://macout.dyndns.org/~johnskinner/graphite128bit.jpg

The article will be at this location when finished...

http://macout.dyndns.org/~johnskinner/silvertogold/

Stay Tuned!