Re: [NTLK] Reverse-engineering Newton applications

From: jeromevernet_at_pastis.dyndns.org
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 12:48:03 PDT

Le 8 ao=FBt 05, =E0 20:37, Victor Rehorst a =E9crit :

> Hemant Kamat wrote:
>> Hi Newtonians, Many thanks to all (Johannes Wolf particularly) who=20
>> helped me
>> out with NewtSMS. I was just wondering: there's a lot of Newton=20
>> abandonware
>> out there which could be developed further, but for want of the=20
>> source. Is
>> there any way to reverse-engineer a .pkg? I know that code (read
>> Newtonscript) can be viewed using ViewFrame, but how does one go =
about
>> modifying it? Anyone interested in compiling small tutorial?
>
> Hi Hemant,
>
> In essence, to redefine or modify a NewtonScript function, you=20
> redefine the
> parent frame using its _proto, and tacking on your new or replacement=20=

> function.

I found a tool, long time ago, that was able to extract the=20
newtonscript from .pkg, convert them into text, on macos 8.=20
Unfortunately, I lost his tool and never find it again....

The 'patch' method described look quite simple. On the paper.... ;)

Jerome