Re: [NTLK] Ethernet Connectivity to a PowerBook

From: William Pociengel (hseldon_at_my.wgu.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 07 2005 - 08:26:25 PDT

Jon Glass wrote:
> On Aug 1, 2005, at 3:21 AM, hemantkamat_at_eth.net wrote:
>

>>Can I connect my MessagePad 2K with a 3COM 3C589D card to my TiBook=20
>>(1.0Ghz Gigabit Ethernet) running OS9? I wish to connect via a=20
>>standard/crossover ethernet cable, without using a 10Mbps hub. Thanks=20=
>

> I don't think so, not without a hub. I have never had any success with=20=
>
> a Mac PowerBook to a Newton via ethernet without a hub. You can try it,=20=
>
> if you want, but it's weird stuff. The PowerBook doesn't officially=20
> need a crossover cable, but it's running at a much faster speed=20

you can do this by telling the mac to run at 10Mb ethernet else it tries
to run as fast of a network connection as it can. the hub does it
automagically as should a switch. this is a low level ethernet protocol
and should not require any user intervention for devices that
autoconfigure. if they don't then something is broken.