Re: [NTLK] Making Books

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sun Aug 07 2005 - 11:40:38 PDT

> What recommendations are there for an application to make books for
> the Newton? I have Newton Press, which is pretty dreadful. I've heard
> of Newton Book Maker, which sounds better, but I have not been able
> to locate a site where a copy can be downloaded.

You can get it from UNNA (http://www.unna.org), in the Apple software
section. It also requires Newton ToolKit to be installed. It is faster
to create a table of contents and links as you mark up your original
text then make a book compared to using Press which you import then
create the Table of contents and lacks searching, replacing and other
features common to most word processors. The only downside is, you are
not able to directly create other formats (screen sizes) other than the
original MP1x0 format. Personally I prefer this format but others with
larger screens (MP2x00 and emate) like to have the book use the full
screen size.

There is a bit more of a learning curve with regards to Bookmaker as you
need to learn the codes to mark up your master text before running
Bookmaker on it to create a Bookmaker file, then using Newton Toolkit to
actually make a book package. I have written a tutorial that is on UNNA
in the PC section (it was placed there due to a PC program that helps
parse text files better is in the archive with the tutorial). You might
want to take a look at it. I list only the most used commands and
should make the learning curve much lower.

-Dan