[NTLK] MP130 Upgrades?

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 11:39:30 PDT

Subject: [NTLK] MP130 Upgrades?
From: "Sean C." <tesla4d () gmail ! com>
Date: 2005-08-04 3:30:51

> Oh great list to which I speak, please grant the knowlege that I seek!

Oh stop reading THAT rubbish
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/series/-/1/
ref=pd_sr_ec_ser_b/10
4-0290070-1092758 , better read THIS rubbish:
http://www.stillnewt.org/library/New%20Additions.txt . ;=}

> I bought an MP130 from a co-worker a while ago and
> got around to looking at it. He didn't have it for
> long, the patience Newts require eluded him,

Weak in the force, he is...

> but the unit appears to be modified. The battery cover has holes
> drilled
> in it. I've concluded that one was for easier access to the reset
> buttons,
> but the others are seemingly random. Cooling, perhaps?

Naw, it's the much-coveted Formula 1 Racing Newton Hack, where you drill
holes into all sort of parts until they barely hold together. Saves much
weight = fuel!

> Also, one of the case screws is missing,

Q.e.d, my man -- just saves even more weight! The most hardcore F1RNers
even
leave the battery pack at home, banking on being to able to borrow some
AAs
on the go (as in "Oi, mate, got me a spare set-a-batts for a sec?!").
This,
however, is usually much frowned upon by the Community of Respectable
Newtonians as reckless freeloaderism and
totally-missing-the-pointinistics.

While I myself don't subscribe to that school, I can see the joy in
dealing
thus with a MP 1x0, as it DOES become much lighter, also leaving the
cells
at home keeps you from using the power switch, which again takes strain
off
that component, certainly expanding its lifespan. Well, actually you
might
even lug a broken Newt around for all that's worth, and nobody will be
the
wiser.

> which leads me to believe that the unit was internally modified.

Hmh, you may want to follow Frank's instructions (as posted previously)
check if you've maybe even obtained one of the super-rare Extreme
Formula 1
Racing Newtons, which also has the mainboard and the backlight gutted to
save even more weight. Few Newtonians actually possess the level of
nerve
and daftness to run around and try to hit up people with the lame "Say,
mind
me yer mainboard, screwdrivers and have ya got some spare cells, too?",
though.

> Overall, I'm mystified.

Who wouldn't be? This is on of the Newton history's best kept secrets.
There
is not a *single* website documenting this, neither Newton Does It!,
nor the
Wiki, nor NewtEnlightenment, nor...

> So: What tinkering did the previous owner likely do,
> and how can I
> tell, short of opening the case?

Just weigh that baby, and you'll know! (Gosh, do I hafta tell ye
*everything*!? ;=} ) As we all know, a regular MP 130 w/o lid, cells,
pen
and any card or cover clocks in at 391 gr.

DJV.

P.S.: Talking about the joy of super-modding the Newt... Anybody heard
recently any progress reports from Team Frozen Newt USA(TM)?