Re: [NTLK] nimh cells

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 00:24:41 PDT

And to make it complete:
The Newton is calculating the battery status in % based on the actual
battery voltage measured.
NiMHs have a voltage of around 1.2V per cell - thus you get approx. 4.8V-
5.2V when charged.
Alkalines have min. 1.5V, thus you get at least 6V when the batteries are
fresh.

If the Newt "assumes" to be fed from alkalines (i.e. if you put NiMHs into
the standard battery tray), you get the wrong reading for the battery
status.

There is a little application that forces the Newt to use a selected battery
type -
"Nicks soft charge" , you should be able to find that on Unna.
Using that you can force the Newt to take NiMH as battery type even if you
use the battery tray and thus you will get a more appropriate reading of the
battery status.

Cheers
Johannes