Re: [NTLK] Ethernet Connectivity to a PowerBook

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 12:49:24 PDT

On Aug 1, 2005, at 2:13 PM, Tyler Regas wrote:

> Just for the record, Ethernet cards negotiate with the connecting
> device at the highest speed it can attain. There cannot be a speed
> mis-match. If you plug a 10Mb/s device into a 1000Mb/s host it will
> negotiate to 10Mb/s. It doesn't work like serial. Also, the TiBook's
> Ethernet hardware automatically detects the media (patch or
> crossover), not the OS.

You know, after I posted what I posted, I remembered something from=20
when I had my problems.... I wasn't using an Ethernet card inside the=20
Newton, but that external box that converted LocalTalk to Ethernet. I=20
forget its name, but that was the box that would not connect to my=20
Pismo. I don't think I've ever tried a direct connection with my=20
Ethernet card. I had forgotten about that, but after writing what I=20
wrote, it got me thinking..... Sorry about forgetting that little=20
detail. In any case, that box couldn't negotiate a connection without a=20=

hub.
--=20
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"If your pictures aren=92t good enough, you=92re not close enough." - =20=

Photojournalist Robert Capa