Re: [NTLK] [OT] Serial sensors for eprobe

From: John Charlton (johncharlton_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 06:14:00 PDT

On Apr 25, 2005, at 10:23 AM, Clayton Mitchell wrote:

> http://www.vernier.com/legacy/sbi/sensors.html
>
> This is a link of the probes that connect to the serial box.
>
> They have been making probes since the Apple][
>

> This may help with the engine diagnostic project that was being
> discussed.

Bit too pricey for this project IMO. The easier route would be pulling
the data from the OBD plug, though that would only work on newer
vehicles. It would probably require a box of some sort to translate to
RS-232, something like:

http://www.obd-2.com/

One problem with doing this is that I'd really hate if the remaining
supply of Newtons was bought up by auto mechanics, lots of cheap
laptops that could do the job.