Re: [NTLK] First Newton ever (and first post)

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 17:23:25 PDT

Charlie,

I'm new to the Mac environment but am currently using a Color Classic
graciously setup by fellow list member Matthew Hudson...

I'm using this to sync my Newton with NCU but have to remember to
remove my 20MB Card as that screws up everything due to the vast
amount of apps on it... but otherwise it syncs flawlessly..

On 4/25/05, Charlie Ranlett <enigmaticmunkie_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> IRda computer is a PowerBook 5300cs running 7.5.3. It
> .......This is "IRda PowerBook" or "SlabBook".

My Color Classic is on 7.5.5

> I also have a Power Mac 9600/300 running OS 9.1 that

I think from my recollection this is still system still has a Serial
Port and would be a better fit since it is faster than you SlabBook as
you put it..

> I'm assuming that Newtons sync much like Palms do,
> i.e. you plug it in and hit something and it
> automatically updates on both sides.

Yes, all you do is run NCU on the Mac and then with the cable (which
is my setup) connected you run Dock and connect... and then Sync...
it's a no brainer even for me...
But others will explain the Ethernet sync setup... I'm not too
familiar with AppleTalk and not sure if I have a AppleTalk compatible
router/hub but hopefully I'll get that Ethernet sync setup one of
these days...

You should be fine after you get the setup with appropriate cable
setup if you go the basic route... or the additional NIC or WiFi and
drivers if you choose the Ethernet route...

--=20
God bless,

Sonny Hung
the Hung Family