Re: [NTLK] mp 110 help with batts

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Thu Apr 21 2005 - 10:35:25 PDT

Andrei Chichak wrote:
>>i am getting tired of buying regular batts for my mp 130, what kind do i
>>need (rechargable ones) can i get them in radio shack...

> Any AA NiCds will be fine. Wrap the center two cells together with cello
> tape, this will push down the charge enable switch.
>
> Don't use NiMHs, these cells need the charging cycle to finish when the
> cells are charged. A 100/110/120/130 Newt will trash them.

Actually ALL rechargeable batteries should be fully discharged before
recharging. This will give you the most amount of recharge cycles
possible. Generally the NiHM are considered to be "memory free", that
is, can be recharged at any point and not develop a "memory" and no
longer hold full capacity.

I do agree ---not--- to charge NiMH's in a 1x0 Newton though. NiMH
charge quite differently and if the recharger is not designed to handle
them, they can explode. And 1x0 will charge all batteries as NiCad's
(by pushing down the switch under the batteries with cardboard etc). So
in short recharging NiMH in your 1x0 Newton will kill your Newt! But if
you take out the NiMH batteries to charge in a charger designed for
them, you will be fine.

-Dan