Re: [NTLK] USB on Newton (was: Recap of the Michigan Newton Gathering)

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 12:08:07 PDT

(Topic branch, therefore subject change...)

Adriano wrote:
> As I have said before, and I am about to say again ( I repeat myself,
> just ask my wife), I don't think USB is very useful for us on the
> Newton.

I don't think that it would be very useful for the Newton to be a USB /host/,
for all of the reasons that you go into, Adriano (no drivers especially).

I think it would be extremely useful to integrate a USB to serial chip inside
the Newton, to make the Newton act as an all-in-one USB device (albeit still
acting like a serial port on the NewtonOS side). It would probably be
something like the SER-001 except replace the LTC1323 chip with a suitable USB
to serial chip (one that is supported on Windows 98+, MacOS 9 and X, Linux,
BSD) and the miniDIN-8 with a USB B port. This way all you would need to
connected with the PC is a bog-standard USB A-B cable.

This came up before back in December: