Re: [NTLK] MP2K1 w/Ser01 Card - case cracked

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 06:41:58 PDT

>From: "Arnold" <aderoy_at_mnsi.net>
>Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:52:33 -0400
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] MP2K1 w/Ser01 Card - case cracked
>
>and let me think. There was multiple cracks, not just one.
>
>Though about expoxy but did not have any onhand and wondered as to the
>reaction to the plastic would be.

I've repaired a few laptop cases lately, I tried a few glues, some
worked better than others. I tried a few epoxies, as I expected they
were mostly useless.

An OK but not permanent success was actually a special hot-melt glue
that I got some demos sticks of. Worked for a while but would
eventually fatigue and crack- but it did stick. Works OK for crack
filling though. I was repairing case damage to hinge area on a
Toshiba laptop so it had a lot of stress on it, needed both gap fill
and hairline crack repair.

Best fix: Ambroid Pro-weld, methylene-chloride based. Repair is
still holding. Good for many types of plastic:

This is Ambroid Proweld Professional Plastic Welder.
FEATURES: Clear liquid
           Applicator brush built into the cap
           For use with styrene, butyrate, ABS & acrylic plastics (lucite or
             plexiglas)
           Super fast
           Super strong joints
INCLUDES: One 2 fl oz bottle of PROWELD

It's best for crack repair and the like, it's not a gap-filling thing
like epoxy would be. It re-melts the plastic a bit and then the
resulting joint is really rather strong. You can fill gaps by using
additional pieces of case plastic, though.

If you have hairline cracks I'd try this first, especially if you can
still squish both sides together and have a nice fit. It's hard for
even epoxy to bond to the nice slippery stuff that electronics casing
is made from, I would not bother with it after my experiences.

You can get it online or most good hobby stores have Ambroid or a
generic "glue" with a similar base solvent. Methylene chloride is a
known carcinogen (what isn't) so don't sniff it to extremes.

I don't know myself what plastic is in the MP case but it seems to
have the right properties for this solvent to work OK with it.

HTH.

Brian