[NTLK] Michigan Newton Gathering - Sunday, April 17th!

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 13:13:40 PDT

>Subject: [NTLK] Michigan Newton Gathering - Sunday, April 17th!
>From: mkow1234 () aol ! com
>Date: 2005-04-11 13:45:16
>
>Hello Everyone:
>
>This message is an update/reminder for folks living in the
Michigan/Northern \
>Ohio/Southern Ontario region.
>There will be a Newton Gathering function this coming Sunday, April
17th, at the \
>Macomb County Library (M-59 just west of Garfield Road, adjacent to
the Macomb \
>College 'Center Campus'). Please confirm your attendance via e-mail.
Maps and \
>instructions will be sent out this week.

Great!

>So, what will visitors get for their trouble? Well, to begin with,
they'll have the \
>chance to see and play around with some pretty rare Newton hardware:
eProbe \
>scientific test probe kit for the eMate,

Wow -- it'd be worth the plane ticket just to see *that* baby!

>MobileWand 400 bar code reader device (I'm \
>hoping we can get this working for an active demo), etc. Also on
display will be a \
>very rare Newton dual connector device used by developers in the early
days of \
>Newtoning.

Oh boy, is this exciting!

>Is that all?

Well, is it?

>Would I have you drive all the way to northern Detroit suburbia for
just \
>THAT?

Well, you tell me, mate!

>Of course not! Attendees will also get special Newton eBooks
(available in MP \
>2X00 portrait and Classic formats).

Books! Books! Gimme more books! My precious! Gimme my...

> You'll get a first look at, "An Open Letter to \
>Steve Jobs," written by yours truly. Also, I just finished a Mexican
cookbook! Other \
>titles? Hmmm...

Huh, I wondered if that letter be Matt-the-K on uppers or downers, but
if it's germination coincided with the newtification of a Mexican
Cookbook, I 'xpect it to be wholesome and hot! Eh, those green rings be
Jalapenos or wot!

>Is that IT???

Well, you tell me!

>No! I can't believe you'd be that stupid!!!

Thanks, that's very kind of you!

>How could I dare expect you \
>to make that loooonnng drive without some kind of compensation for
your efforts? Gas \
>costs money, ya know!

Jus' whaddaymsayin, man! Kerosine, gets more expensive to refuel our
'Kasko One every week -- and no way the 'Kasko will fly American
Airways (see
http://www.boingboing.net/2005/04/10/american_airlines_do.html )! I'd
rather swim across the pond on back of a caribou!

> You'll also have the opportunity to share Newton games, sound \
>files, view a FAX demo, print files, if need be (Yes, I will be
bringing along one of \
>the old 'portable' HP printers, complete with IrDA attachment and
extra ink \
>cartridge/paper.

FREE paper! Oh boy oh boy, this is getting better and betterer! What
next!?

>I'm also hoping to be able to offer some refreshments, but I'll have
to check with \
>the Library staff this week, to see what they'll tolerate. Likely,
we'll have coffee \
>and cookies. Sharing of Newton ideas, Newton photo-ops, etc. Other
fun things going \
>on? We'll see...

Any Librarians table-dancing? Male ones okay, too, gotta have equal
opportunity-whatever, right? And cookies! Librarians, free paper and
cookies, yeah!

>Now, how can you afford to miss THAT?

Matt, honestly -- there is simply NO WAY any selfrespecting Newtonian
within Learjet range could possibly wanna miss that! This is going to
be bigger and more fun than MacWorld '93, I tell ya! (Never been there,
but I read an article: the usual glassy eyed Apple-junkies, and lotsa
geeks besides that... Whereas you offer quality nerds and librarians!
And cookies!)

I'll see if I can get the Learjet broken out of storage in time (I
don't fly it all year round, take the reindeer and sled in winter,
those guys got better traction on a frozen runway). And then check the
credit cards if there's enough fun left for a fuel-up. If that don't
work, I no come (reindeers already demobbed, they grow too hungry after
a while, yaknow).

Anyway, just to increase the excitement about this Michigan-Meeting:
I'm sending Matt a batch of Newton eBooks that are as of yet unreleased
and will be available at the Michigan meeting only -- and nowhere else
for a couple months at least! That a deal or what!

Here's what we're talking about, and just to show how serious I'm about
this:

*** A book about a 2000-mile trip on foot any canoe from the
buffalo-range to the caribou-prairie. Very brilliantly written, great
nature observations, excellent social commentary, early
ecology/environmentalism w/o hysteria. Gave me many good laughs and
smiles, and quite some food for thought.

*** A native Hawaiian saga (or "romance", as the Mediaval knight's
tales were called). This is storytelling from the time when they were
still a souvereign people with their own Monarchy (which apparently
even exchanged diplomatic notes with European courts). If you like
European sagas and Mediaval Romances, this may be interesting for you
-- outriggers, coconut and action, plus it's warmer than Europe and you
don't have all the clattering armor.

*** A brilliant hard SF-story from 2003 that has been released recently
as CCL. Very imaginative, a real treat. Enjoyed that a lot! Those
astrophysicists, man, they really got they stuff down pat!

*** One of my absolutey favorite HP Lovecraft tales. Really beautiful.
This one slightly reminds of Dunsany's Book of Wonder, but is more now
and far out and, well, who knows what really happens when some people
dream?

*** A really brilliant book on the religion of the Ancient Celts.
Really amazing how their cult and mythology differs from other European
cults, and how much of it still survived in later religions and
traditions (right up to the early 20th cent), e.g. by being integrated
in other faiths. Also excellent primer to the Celtic world and thought
(for those who like to read Celtic sagas and mythology). Okay, I always
thought all those harps, depressed singing and red hair would grow a
bit long in the tooth, but this cosmology really differs from
everything else in Europe (most related is maybe early Hinduism), and
they actually used to be a fun bunch (besides being into head-counts
and chopping up people in groves, even appalled the Romans who
otherwise were all for slaughtering people wholesale).

This is pure gold. Really brilliant stuff. Worth it's weight in gold,
or jalapenos, or... And you'll only get it there and then from Matt.
  So be there or not, but don't come crying if you miss this ultimately
cool super-brilliant Newton mega-event! Boy -- and they'll even have
*cookies*! And cool stuff, heaps of eBooks -- and more cookies! And who
knows -- maybe even a glass of milk to go with the eBooks, erhem,
cookies! ;=}

Cordially yours in Newton,

D. Vollkasko

P.S.: Matt, if I can't come, maybe you could send me some of those
jalapenos and cookies. Got milk in the fridge. Have fun!