Re: [NTLK] Monopoly (The Game) for Newton OS?

From: Matthew Hudson (hexsane_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 18:57:13 PDT

> It is my belief that the majority of would-be buyers will not play this game
> "daily," thus illustrating how steep the price is. This is the basis for
> all my arguments on the issue. It's marketing 101.

I work in the Embedded Design industry. In many cases the known number
of users will be low (a known or estimatable value). So the production
and development costs are embedded (no pun intended) into the cost of
the product. It has the opposite effects as you describe. Something
that may cost us $500 to build we sell for $5000+, even if the
software, hardware, etc was already available to us with a minimum of
effort involved in making the actual product.
The difference is: Very few places do what we do.

I personally think the price of $30 is to high. My own games at
http://www.gamesavants.com/newton (shameless plug) are $5.00 or less
and would be an excellent distraction on a flight. I also enjoy
sitting around and hacking away at NewtonScript. In the last few weeks
I've obtained a few older model Newtons so I can back port for those
who only have a 1.x device. It is costing me time and money but there
are several out there who are enjoying the games I make and I intend
to make more. I knew writing software for the Newton wasn't gonna make
me a millionare - but I was hoping to make a few bucks and a few
people happy and I have.

> I can only hope the developer of this fine app is listening and makes his
> own decision on Newtopoly pricing in light of all the points presented.

Instead of coming here and explaining your concerns with the price of
the software maybe you should email the author and ask him to reduce
the price considering the age of it and the Newton.

-Matt