Re: [NTLK] Advice on setting up my new eMate?

From: Clayton Mitchell (claytonmitchell_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 12:21:56 PDT

Welcome aboard, although fairly new to the platform as well, here are
some solutions that I have found.
On Apr 6, 2005, at 1:25 PM, Becky K wrote:

> 1) What do I need to do to convert an MS Office/Word 2001 .doc to a
> file that I
> can transfer to the eMate?
RTF this is the format that will be most compatable.

> 1b)Does everything sent to the eMate need to be in a package, or can I
> send a
> single word file over au natural, for example, or a plain .gif for the
> background application?

I think they have to be packages. As far as I know the newton does not
know a .gif from a hole in the ground.
Look at the documentation an Avi's backdrop for instructions.

> 2) What software do I need on the Mac to connect with the eMate via
> Serial
> port/Appletalk? Just package installers, or is there a driver of sorts
> as well?

If you are going to use it primarily as a typewriter then you should
get the classroom exchange and/or NCU.

http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/software
http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/connection_utils/ForMac/
NewtonConnectionKit

The classroom exchange is a cool program that will let you transfer
documents to and from your eMate.
it also has document format translators.
I have not tried it under OS X (classic).

Here are the drivers to the serial adapter you probably have
http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA28x/downloads/

Note that if you are planning on using the classroom exchange DO NOT
install the OS X drivers.
only install the classic drivers and use NCU for your package transfers
and backups.

There is a package that you can install that can increase your serial
speed to 230,000 bps.
I can not find the link right now. I will look for it when I get home
and post it later.

> 2b) How does the connection behave? Like a computer on a local
> network, like an
> external hard disk, or like a PDA (eg, only through a hot-sync
> program)?

Like a PDA via sync

> 3) Should I go through the trouble of setting up drivers and
> applications on my
> Mac OSX machines, or would I save myself a lot of trouble using my 1st
> gen iMac
> (OS9.2) when I connect to the eMate?

The imac should work for sure, and if you have a Rev. A Bondi iMac you
could even do IR transfers.
But not with NCU or Classroom exchange.

Hope this helps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~