Re: [NTLK] Simputer Released

From: Raj Patel (phigmov_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 12:16:30 PDT

I guess as per John Halls email it needs to be considered as more of a
Oqo/Zuarus style device rather than a traditional PDA as its basically
a portable handheld PC.

Like most other PDA's it doesn't have anything remotely cool like
Newton Assistance or shared Soups. Then again the design is open
source and apparently even the plans are available somewhere as it was
the result of several research projects to bring low cost computing to
the masses.

I love the flop/flop tech (flick of the wrist to rotate screen etc)
and the use of USB to keep costs down.

Hopefully the initial production run sells like hot-cakes and the next
run will be bigger and cheaper (I think it was $480US for the colour
one which seems a tad on the expensive side to me).

Minimal discussion of sync capabilities which is a little
disappointing from a PDA perspective but I guess its a ver 1 product
and it seems to include support for most of the basics (email, web,
rss, etc) out of the box.

Raj.