Re: [NTLK] Anyone Making Public WiFi Work?

From: hellsop_at_ninehells.com
Date: Sat Apr 02 2005 - 11:33:43 PST

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 11:37:10AM -0500, Dan wrote:
> Well this topic has come up many times before. The problem is
> "pay-per-use" Wi-fi usually requires you to log in via a HTTPS (aka
> secure connection) with a password and such that is given when you pay
> for it. Since the Newton can't do HTTPS we are stuck. It has been
> talked about, but the general consensus is that it is not possible. As
> I understand it, this would involve rewriting the NIE, which would be a
> big job and only a very few people on this list could even attempt it.
> And those few people are currently working on other "big" Newt projects.

Not necessarily *impossible*, just thus far no one that that has the
skills to do it has found it a worthwhile project to pursue. In short,
it's too much work. This doesn't, however, mean that anyone's going to
discourage someone else from taking up the gauntlet if they want to
attempt it.

--
34. I will not turn into a snake. It never helps.