Re: [NTLK] Newton Comm advice (update) v 1.1

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 23:03:29 PST

On Apr 1, 2005, at 10:26 PM, JP wrote:
<snip>
> Had to downgrade to MP 2k rather than the 2100. My sense is that the
> difference between the models is RAM. The 2k is 4mb (a CF can add to 2k
> later, though); while the 2100 is 8mb. Is this accurate?
Accurate, but understating the BIG difference this makes for the
Newton. The 2100 is much more able to run software, while the 2000
quickly hits the wall (so to speak).

> Also decided to try this 'without a net' for the time being (in the
> sense used for trapeze artists). This Newton be able to get packages
> without the infamous 'serial/dongle' combo.
>
> I will rely on the IrDA 'Newtoy' to intall at least one package to the
> Newt. The priority package will be the drivers for the Ethernet pcmcia
> that will be shipped.
Do you know what kind of card?
> The ethernet can serve both the Newt and the PB
> 1400c (which has no ethernet at this time; it might prove valuable at
> some moment -- and my searches have not found ethernet/pcmcia.)
May or may not be true. Some ethernet vendors never bothered to
support Mac OS...

> I'm not sure whicn will happen first..Tiger announced or the arrival of
> my Newton. Once it does, the plan will be:
> to startup the Wallstreet from the OS 9.2.2 partition
> run IrDA.
I seem to recall the announcement of the IR software suggested there
might be an issue with wallstreet?
> Connect w/Newton (IrDA comm <IS > native to Newt OS 2.0, or am I
> misinformed?)
This is a very complicated question, but I would say you are
misinformed :~) You can search the archives for a more detailed
explanation of how the Newton implemented it's IR. You do have the
ability to receive "beams" without any additional software, so your
right about that at least.
> Install ethernet driver on Newt (the card is 3Com; not sure what model;
> but am assured it will work)
OK, that's probably good, although you should pay close attention when
installing the necessary packages, as there are several. Check the
FAQ for specifics.
> Use the ethernet device to acquire whatever other packages I might
> need/want installed.
Sure, or the IR if that works well.

> Should be able to network the Wallstreet, PB 1400c and Newt via;
>
> DSL (wireless) router/modem.
Yes, but ??? What for (as I ask my customers)

> The 2 PB's have WiFi cards ordered. May arrive by (this time next
> week?)
> So, we assume they are happily surfing/sharing...
Good luck with that. Hope you know what your buying and have drivers
for the same.
> If all the details above are successfully negotiated, then the Newt can
> join in the fun by;
> more IrDA connections as outlined above
> ethernet to rear of Wallstreet (sounds like a book title...;)
This might not work, as there is an issue with some mac hardware and
crossover cables...
> ethernet direct to 1 of 4 ports on router/modem.
This will work.
> the 2 PB's go wireless and it's the
>
> "Rule of Three"
>
> Comments/Crit/Advice?
You are prone to over thinking things perhaps?

Marty