Re: [NTLK] Pkg install via OS X webserver - default listing?

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 20:24:11 PDT

On Thursday, September 30, 2004, at 12:49 PM, Rhonda Hyslop wrote:
> Just to make sure - you can enter one of the filenames in that
> directory
> by hand and correctly download it?
[snip]

I hadn't thought of that. I just tried it with a text file and a pkg
file and it worked fine for both, so I guess the problem really is just
with the indexing function.

[snip]
> Instead of putting Options +Indexes in your .htaccess file and allowing
> htaccess files, you could put Options +Indexes directly in your apache
> configuration. (Of course, that'll mean that *any* directory that
> doesn't have an index.html file will get a directory listing, but
> personally I like that...)

Yeah, I might just do it that way. This server is only reachable on my
LAN anyway, so it wouldn't be a security problem, I think.

In the meantime, I'm gonna find myself some basic Unix lessons online
somewhere and read up more about configuring Apache. This is fun
stuff, plus it still bugs me that it didn't work, so I need to figure
out why.

> As an additional note, though, you would probably want to find the
> lines
> that start with AddType in your server configuration and add the
> following to the list:
>
> AddType application/x-newton-compatible-pkg .pkg
>
> (If you have non-newton package files with the .pkg extension then this
> should go in the .htaccess file in your package directory instead of
> with all the other AddType directives.)

Thanks, I read about that somewhere too, so I did that. Although I
think I saw it without the dot before the final "pkg". Seems to work.
But you're right about non-Newton package files -- OS X installer files
also have the .pkg extension. I've noticed, however, that even when
the Mac mistakes a Newton file for an OS X installer file, that file
will still install and run fine on the Newton. So I guess the
confusion isn't really a practical problem.

Anyway, thanks for all your patient help. I'll post if I happen to
stumble across the reason the .htaccess file isn't working.

Michael