[NTLK] Email for older Newtons...

From: Dale A. Raby (daleraby_at_tds.net)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 17:32:24 PDT

Hello,

This evening, while scrounging roadside junk for rummage sale/Ebay
merchandise. I ran across a NIB 56K modem (external). As wonderful a
find as this is all by itself, it gave me an idea.

I still make use of the first generation Newtons... my most modern unit
is a MP 110. It does all the tasks it was intended with one
exception.... it has no email capability. I was able to get hold of an
original Apple modem for it... in fact, two of them, but, unfortunately,
the email protocols seem hardwired into it, with no way to alter them.

Since I do not have a certificate number or certificate password, there
would seem to be no way to set up an email account, even if the system
they originally had set up with SprintNet was still in existence...
which it probably is not.

In any case, it seemed to me that there was no reason I could not set up
my own personal dialup ISP just for myself. I could use my DSL
connection for the Internet "backbone", and set up a modem on my home
phone line when I was away so I could phone home with the Newton, login
to my mailserver and download the messages over the phone line to my
Newton.

Aside from the normal difficulties in configuring a system to answer the
phone and setting up a mail server, I can see no reason this would not
work... but for one seemingly insurmountable difficulty. I don't know
how to establish a connection.

Does anyone out there know the mail protocols that are hardwired into
the OMP and the MP110? This would be a start....

Dale

--
"Nothing is ever so bad that it couldn't be worse, and if it could be
worse than it is, then maybe it's not so bad!"... me