Re: [NTLK] einstein -> antelope?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 00:36:34 PDT

I too have said this on this list before...
I had an order from the department of transportation,
higways department, to purchase another several
thousand 2100s for in-vehicle telemetry for
roadtesting.
I seem to remember that I had another company that
also wanted that also wanted thousands of
units...every time I attempted to contact Apple for
selling any substantially large quantities of Newtons,
Apple refused to sell them. In the case of the
department of highways, HP came through with thousands
of Omnigos, so at least I was able to salvage that
sale...From what I could figure, Apple was just not
equipped to both handle these quantities of sales, nor
could they even supply these quantities. I found that
even trying to determine what was the correct
department impossible! It took several weeks just to
find someone to tell me that they wouldn't sell me the
units! Like everything else Apple does, all they do is
develop the product. They rely on 3rd party
organizations to market it and support...
That, and Apple sticking my company with dozens of
clones that they stopped supporting, and the Mac IIvx
fiasco has turned me off from apple...They just didn't
"get it". Frustrating!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Robert Benschop <rbenschop_at_telebyte.nl> wrote:

> On 30-sep-04, at 7:21, Jim Witte wrote:
> > They refused a sale of hundreds of units?
> Incredible. No wonder
> > Scully couldn't make Apple work!
>
> I've quoted this on the list before, but Peter Kaas
> (one of the
> developers of Lunasuite) told me years back that a
> local Dutch cellular
> telephone provider wanted to equip all of their
> employees with Newtons.
> Note that this was just when the 2100 came out, so
> even before the
> spinn-off into Newton Inc. The company (Libertel)
> was told that Apple
> Holland wasn't interested.
<snip>

=====
"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision."
 - Benjamin Franklin