Re: [NTLK] Newton Dock - internal modem

From: Adriano (se6ciocco_at_libero.it)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 11:58:47 PDT

> Yes. It will have to be registered with the system as a connection option
> though. There's probably some documented or undocumented API for doing so.
>
> The Ser3 line you're talking about needs to have a serial line driver chip on
> it. The LTC1323 is what was used in the Newton but something more readily
> available such as a MAX232 should work fine.
>
> --
> Victor Rehorst - victor_at_newtontalk.net - chuma_at_chuma.org
> NewtonTalk list administrator - http://www.newtontalk.net
> Will the last person to leave the platform please turn off the backlight?

Victor

really never heard of the MAX232 chip before and i am happy to hear about it's availability.

Is it possible to make the Ser3 usable by a modem only, making a software which do the work of a
LCT1323CG chip?
(i make my excuses to all the programmers turned-on for the question above - but hope in a
positive response).

Adriano