Re: [NTLK] Newton Dock - internal modem

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 11:36:44 PDT

Adriano wrote:
> Newtontalkers'
>
> i am making a dock/base for the MP2100
>
> I want to add a modem port.
> My idea is to add a laptop internal modem
> to the Dock-base circuitry, connected directly to the MP2100 Ser3 line.
>
> Do you think that type of modem could be functional under the Newton OS?

Yes. It will have to be registered with the system as a connection option
though. There's probably some documented or undocumented API for doing so.

The Ser3 line you're talking about needs to have a serial line driver chip on
it. The LTC1323 is what was used in the Newton but something more readily
available such as a MAX232 should work fine.