Re: [NTLK] NIE 2 and Extension Incompatibilities? [Long]

From: LAG (lagoff11_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 06:49:10 PDT

IM NOT SURE if you have tried this, but. have u tried to install nie 2 over the current version of nie 1 without the unistallation that you originally did? im thinking parts of nie 1 may be needed by nie 2 and ur uninstallation has made it get all sick on you. more definite answers will prolly come your way shortly, but i figured id ask just in case.

hth,

LAG

Josef Chessor <josefcub_at_gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All!

The basic question is this: What extensions and programs are
known to be incompatible with NIE2?

Backstory: I was recently gifted with two free and beautiful
Newton 2100s, one in a leather flip-top case, and one in a book-style
case (that I co-opted for my recently E-bay purchased MP130 ;). Both
work, save for one has case damage and the (infamous?) left-bottom
corner misalignment problem. I decided to use the best of the two (a
perfectly functioning gold-screened 2100, beautiful to behold, perfect
of body, and with a strong backlight. All right, all right. I'll
stop gushing already! ;) I backed up my 2000, brainwiped it, and gave
it to my roommate. Then, I threw the backup on my new 2100, and
started the adventure.

My 2000 had about 50 packages (including books) installed on it.
They all worked well together, with nary a problem or crash because of
them. I had decided early-on to use NIE1.1 on the machine since it
was only a 2000, and I knew that NIE2 took up more resources. Since I
only had a modem, this was perfectly acceptable. But now, since I had
a 2100, I wanted to run NIE 2. I figured this time I'd finally start
looking for a nice, compatible, wifi or wired ethernet card and get
with all the fancy stuff everyone else on this list does.

I deleted NIE1.1's three packages, deleted the diplomat soups in
Storage, and attempted to install NIE2. This is where the problems
began. NIE2 died in mid-install of Internet Enabler and, worst of
all, required brain-wiping the 2100 in order to get control back after
trying all the other reset methods in the FAQ (it went into the
infinite not-resetting loop even after letting it sit for a long
time). Okay, fine. I'll start this 2100 fresh, I must have a soup
with something it doesn't like.

I brainwipe the 2100, and start installing just my basic
extensions, Avi's Backdrop, PrefsCleaner, and CardEject. I get done
with that and stop for a bit, just to take a look around in the thing,
maybe set a preference or two, before I load in my applications and
reload my personal data. Close Dock. Tap on Extras:

*bing* Error -10606

Then another error (a 42-series, IIRC. I didn't remember too
well, I'm afraid). Okay, I'm rather confused at this time ("Object
not found" is not a revealing message, though diving through MARC's
archive tells me that it's a lower-level store error of some kind.) so
I use Avi's Backdrop and tell it to reboot the Newton. The Newton
doesn't come back. Just like last time.

I've also come down with a sinus infection by this time, and
wasn't thinking too clearly (I'm still not, else I'd probably not have
wasted an hour typing this ;). So I thought I'd ask the list if they
knew of any incompatible packages before I took up the spare, slightly
messed up, 2100 and started the package-by-package search for the
offending member. This e-mail was long, but that search could be even
longer (especially knowing me, Mac System 6 through 9, and trying to
ferret out conflicting extensions. Ugh!).

For the record, if I haven't put anyone to sleep yet, here are
the base things I installed before experiencing the error and undeath
(This is pasted from something that I'll probably add to the NewtWiki
someday):

----
System Update 710031 - Update to 710260 which fixes the Dates find bug.
DoorChime2 - Voyager doorbell, system sound. (Free)
ExtraExtras - More things to do with items in the Extras drawer. (Freeware)
Fahrenheit - TallHill's excellent MacinTalk temperature button. (Freeware)
GraphPaper - Excellent stationery for schematic drawings (Freeware)
HeapSaver - Saves me heap memory (Commercial)
HTMList - Adds HTML translation and routing slip abilities. (Demoware)
NewtWorks Patch - Fix a rather nasty flaw in Newtworks. (Freeware)
MacInTalk - Text-to-Speech software. (Unreleased/Scaryware)
Minico - Nonproportional font for use with terminal emulators and such. (Free)
Optionen - SBM's excellent Prefs enhancement. (Freeware)
Plan 9 - Enables the aliens in Dates. (Freeware)
RotateBook - Rotates my MP2000's screen to suit a Newtonbook. (Freeware)
Styles+ - Enhances the Styles panel for text entry and formatting. (Freeware)
Avi's Backdrop 1.31 - Nothing like a good, wallpapered desktop. (Freeware)
Card Eject - Assists in ejecting Flash memory cards. (Freeware)
SAI Prefs Cleaner - Erases unused prefs entries. (Freeware)
Five custom Avi's Backdrop image books (Custom artwork for me,
translated for Avi's)
----
And all I'm installing thus far of NIE2 is Internet Setup, Modem
and Serial Support, ISP Templates, NIE Patch v4, and the Internet
Enabler extension.
Before I forget, I've also tried this with a few combinations of
partial restores and package loading orders already. No dice. NIE2
either kills the Newton 2100 in mid-install (grip of death in
mid-download of Internet Enabler, followed by the not-rebooting
problem), or after it's been installed and during other package
installs (-10606, not-rebooting), or after installing other packages,
then NIE2 (dies either in mid-install of Internet Enabler or -10606
when I try to do anything, randomly). I've also tried NIE2 packages
from UNNA, and from my personal copy of the 2100 ISO image.