Re: [NTLK] printing q

From: Roman Pixell (roman_at_pixell.net)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 00:39:07 PDT

thanks for replying!

On Sep 28, 2004, at 8:50 AM, Simon Stapleton wrote:

> the newt is rasterising the sketches locally
> and then sending them as big bitmaps to the 'printer', which, depending
> on your connection type and speed, can take some considerable time

i dont know if they are sent like bitmaps - my sketches come out
beautifully like vectorised illustrator files, just as if i was using
an appletalk printer over an ethernet network.

>> 1) the newton does not print with the font specified, but with the
>> default font, which is either fancy or times new roman, i believe.
>
> The short version - the newton wants the fonts to be installed on the
> printer. If they're not installed, you get either blank space or the
> default font - this depends very much on the printer.

this is saomewhat strange, since i remember printing over an appletalk
newtork was very simple - i could also keep the fonts (casual) and the
layout in the notes app. those printers did for sure NOT have the fonts
installed.

> Under OSX, the 'postscript' printer is generally provided by the
> printer driver, not the printer driver. If you can't install fonts to
> be used with the manufacturer-supplied driver, (or you have an older
> printer without OSX drivers, such as my epson 1520 with ethernet card)
> you may have better luck using gimp-print
> <http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3> which uses ghostscript
> as its rasterising back end (as I understand it).
>
> As to where to _get_ postscript fonts corresponding to newton fonts -
> you may want to go to <http://cs.gmu.edu/~sean/projects/newton/Fonts/>
> and use the fonts provided on your newton, rather than the built-in
> ones. I'm not sure whether there are any postscript fonts
> corresponding directly to newton fonts.

check out scooter graphics' nucasual font:
http://www.scootergraphics.com/nucasual/

/ ®