Re: [NTLK] newton as localtalk bridge to wireless ?

From: Roman Pixell (roman_at_pixell.net)
Date: Sun Sep 26 2004 - 05:14:40 PDT

On Sep 26, 2004, at 1:00 PM, Hubertus Müller wrote:

> i want to make use of my apple laserwriter 630 with a serial (localtalk
> / appletalk) connection. my powerbook has only ethernet and wlan, so
> the newton would be a nice and small solution to connect my
> laserwriter.
> i have a lucent gold wlan card for the newton, the mac is on os x. is
> there a solution to do this? it would be so great.

none that i know of, sorry.

the schoolbook way of doing it is to get a printer server, which costs
as much as a base station. there are wireless base stations with
centronics ports, so you could probably hook up the printer to the
network that way. (the 630 has a centronics port, IIRC) just make sure
to get an appletalk-compatible base and try to avoid d-link...

an other option would probably be to ask a developer to write a bridge
application, but i doubt that the newton would be such a great device
for bridging, its very slow...

/ ®