Re: [NTLK] Newton Killer - OS X? - Epilog

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 04:07:03 PDT

On Sep 24, 2004, at 3:20 AM, David Deranian wrote:

> Ironically, the question about anyone that used their Newton as their
> main computer for any length of time didn't turn up many people. Only
> one person said he used his Newton exclusively for a number of years.
> My guess is that some newer or younger users may fall into that
> category.

Somehow, I missed this part originally.... I couldn't do it now, but
from 1995 to 1997, I used my Newton 120 (first with OS 1.3 and later
2.0) almost exclusively. At the end of 1994, I sold my Mac Classic
(which I used as my "portable" computer) and bought a Mac IIvx. At that
point, I needed a portable computer, and bought a 120 on AOL. Strangely
enough, due to my heavy traveling schedule, I ended up using that
Newton exclusively for months on end. I used it to track my schedule,
(using Action Names) and write and print letters and envelopes, and
using Aloha and AOL, to do my email. Worse, my wife shared my Newton
for email! During much of this time, I was also a member of this group
and two other mailing lists. Most of the time, I used HWR (Wife used
Gesture Mosaic for HWR) and only used a keyboard for the last half for
email and letters. Looking back on those times, I'm amazed at how well
it handled it all...

If I had had a 2100 then, I don't think I would have even purchased the
Quadra (Performa, IIvx). :-) However, today, with digital photography,
desktop video (DVDs Divx, etc) and a highly graphic web, I think it
would be more difficult to replace the desktop computer (including
laptops). I know I wouldn't want to. I carry both my Newton and my
Pismo Apple Powerbook most places when I seriously travel.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland