Re: [NTLK] FS SER-001 & EM300

From: Roman Pixell (roman_at_pixell.net)
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 01:18:05 PDT

On Sep 24, 2004, at 2:22 AM, keith wrote:

> Can people confirm that there's no need whatsoever for the dongle and
> devices that have the right serial plugs once a SER-001 card is
> installed? I seem to remember a lone comment about something that
> didn't work quite as well via the added serial port...
>
> If so, it might be better to hang on to the dongle for the sake of the
> $10.

i remember too that someone had problems with ... i think it was a GPS
device. however, i never had any problems with my SER-001, other than
its a bit larger than what actually fits in the newton. since it doesnt
really fit, there is a gap if <1mm between the front and the back
cover of the unit. some say it can cause the jaggies, but this is not
confirmed. many units have the jaggies and the jaggies have been around
for quite a while. my current unit developed jaggies well after a year
after i installed ther SER-001, so its difficult to say if it was
related... however, after frank gruendel fixed my newt at WWNC, we
decided to let the serial board stay. i have carved some on my serial
board plastics with a sharp knife in order to make it fit better in the
newton.

/ ®