Re: [NTLK] Newton Killer - OS X? - Longish

From: Rod (lavo_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 20:57:18 PDT

On 24/9/04 2:44 AM, "James Nichols" <smilr_at_mac.com> wrote:

> HUH? Do you mean waking from sleep mode?
>
> As far as I know pretty much every powerbook has had that - it's not
> new to os X.
>
> J Tyler NIchols
>
> On Sep 23, 2004, at 6:08 AM, Roman Pixell wrote:
>
>> but its true, ever since the OS X entered the scene with the "instant
>> wake-up" feature for powerbooks, the newton became less useful in
>> compared to a laptop.

Every Powerbook has had it, but pre-OSX there has been a 10-15 sec lag from
the powerbook waking up to being useable. As OS X is constantly running
when asleep (just a lot of services turned off to conserve power), it gives
the illusion of being instantaneous wake up. In reality, it nevers goes to
sleep, just switches off power to the screen, turns off unnecessary services
and spins down the hd.

At least that is the impression I got when I first installed OS X way back
when it was public beta. My Wallstreet at the time had lost its battery
charge from the time I left work until I got home (40 min). I'm sure that
has improved since then, but it still sucks more power in sleep mode than
what OS 9 did.

Seeya

Rod!