Re: [NTLK] FS SER-001 & EM300

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 18:32:29 PDT

While my knowledge on the subject isn't exhaustive - one thing the
dongle did do that the ser won't is the "launch the dock program on the
newton when you connect it to a desktop machine via serial" - the
'autodock' pin(s) of the newton interconnect port is engaged by the
dongle, and doesn't even factor into the internal connector that the
ser hooks up to.

Also, connecting some serial devices (keyboard most notably) - you will
have to 'power cycle' (hit the power switch twice) the newton for it to
recognize the newly attached device - whereas with the dongle (perhaps
because of the autodock being engaged?) the keyboard would be detected
the moment it was attached to the newton.

Having to 'power cycle' an instant-on machine like the newton isn't
really a hassle, if you had to reboot the newton to recognize newly
attached devices it would be a pain. As such, I haven't missed my
dongle after upgrading to a SER board.

J Tyler Nichols